Thursday, March 4, 2010

Our plans and God's plans + I'm not the Holy Spirit


Me and Chokey

Tuesday I went with my friend Munnu to a hillstation 3 hours from Siliguri called Kalimpong. The climate is perfect and the water tastes...incredible! I couldn't believe how much cleaner it tasted. Gotta love that mountain spring water you can drink straight from the tap! Oh, and Michelle (IMB Missionary living in Kalimpong who drove us up) changed Caleb's diaper on the side of the mountain. Hysterical.




Jeff and Trish graciously allowed me to go so I could to see one of my friends, Chokey. She's a college student there (we met b/c her and her friends came to our house to play basketball one day when she was in town) and we've stayed in touch for the past 3 months. I've been able to share Jesus with her a few times...it seems like He always comes up in conversation. But I wanted to hang out with her in person. And my friend Munnu randomly wanted to come too.

In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.

So I planned to go to Kalimpong to spend some time with Chokey and hopefully share the gospel with her. But it turned out I only really got to talk with her one time for lunch on Wednesday. When I got back to Siliguri I realized that maybe the main purpose of my trip was to grow closer to Munnu. We went all over Kalimpong shopping for stuff for her brother's shop in Siliguri and just had a jolly time. We've been friends since last October and are really starting to get close. She feels called to do ministry but is still praying for God's vision for her life. I'm excited to walk with her in this journey.

Brittany, Munnu, and Me

It's cool to see God calling Indians to different parts of India for His kingdom. Munnu, a Nepali, is originally from Kalimpong, where mostly Nepali's live. So moving to Siliguri was difficult. But God has used her in many people's lives here and it is obvious He is growing her faith. Pray for the Holy Spirit to guide her steps into His will and not her own. Sometimes I get myself confused with the Holy Spirit, thinking it's my job to convict people or lead people into His will. But God continues to give me rest in the fact that He is God and accomplishes His purposes. His words are powerful and effective.

"My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." (1 Cor. 2:4-5)

I have to remember this in regards to Chokey too. It's not my job to convince her of the truth. That's God's job. I'm only called to plant the seed of the gospel and love her. Pray that Chokey would know the forgiveness and freedom and life found only in Jesus.


ps - i'm so thankful for my sweet friend Brittany (journeyman for the IMB) and allowing us to stay with her. she's such an encouragement! (and makes incredible omelettes!)

1 comment:

  1. What a diverse post...ending with such a hilarious picture! Love you.
    Aunt B

    ReplyDelete