Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Foolishness for His Sake

These past few weeks I've been learning a lot about foolishness and weakness.  It is what the world despises.  It is not praised...it is avoided.  It is disgusting to us.  It embarrasses us.

Yet it is what Christ calls us to be.  So that Christ's power might rest on us.  That His grace and glory would be on display for a dying world to see.

I hate to be weak.  I hate not knowing everything.  Having little to no control.

But it's in the weak moments of our lives that we realize the sufficiency and satisfaction of His grace.  Of His unfailing love.  Over our circumstances.  Over our own screw-ups.

At our house church on Sunday we sang the song "Here I am to Worship."  The bridge repeats the phrase "we'll never know how much it cost to see my sin upon that cross!"  And that's the beauty of the gospel.  It doesn't bring us guilt but it's an exclamation and a shout of praise that by His grace we will never have to know what we have been spared from...eternal separation from God.  Oh what love!  That doesn't ask for penance or anything in exchange for our salvation except our whole heart.

Oh how He loves us, friends!  Because of this profound and sacrificial love, we are able to say, like Paul...

"That is why, for Christ's sake (so His power may rest on us), I DELIGHT IN WEAKNESES, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."  2 Corinthians 12:10

Abraham looked foolish to probably everyone around him when he told them what God had promised...that His offspring would outnumber all the grains of sand.  Because the guy was 99 years old!  He looked utterly foolish and weak to be able to bring about the promise of God.  He couldn't even have one child, let alone more than the number of stars in the sky!

But He trusted God for it.  Even when God wanted him to sacrifice his only son, Isaac.  His faith did not waver.  BECAUSE HE KNEW THE PROMISE WOULD COME FROM THE PROMISER NOT THE PROMISEE.  Only the Promiser can bring about the promise.  We are not called to bring it about, only to be obedient to whatever He calls us to do.

So I take courage in being weak and foolish because I know that His power will be made perfect in my weakness.  Praise Him!  May He get so much glory for what He has done and will do through this weak vessel!

Romans 4:18-21...LOOK IT UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment